Sunday, July 10, 2005

Mayday Mayday!!

Current Location: 37,000 feet above sea level, somewhere over the Bay of Bengal in an Indian Airlines Airbus A320 en route to Singapore

This is my 18th flight to Singapore since June 1998; the 19th time that my folks dropped me to the airport (twice on one occasion thanks to a bird hit on a stationary, grounded aircraft); the 19th time that Ma wept. According to Yann Martel, humans can get used to anything. He should meet Ma.

I’ve hated flying for as long as I can remember. I hate taking off. I hate landing. I hate everything in between. I hate the meals. I hate the smells in the cabin. I hate aerosol. I hate the voice of the captain. I hate the fact that I have never had anyone remotely interesting or good-looking sitting next to me. I hate the fact that everytime I’ve asked to be seated next to someone interesting or good-looking, I’ve been promptly given the seat next to the lavatory. I hate the wailing of the less-than-attractive baby sitting behind me. I hate turbulence. I hate the changing drones of the engines. I hate “We are experiencing high tail wind” announcements. In a nutshell, I am a hateful person with airplanes, airports and everything related to them riding high on the loathe-list. Stewardesses are occasionally excused depending on age, airline and seam length.

Hate stems from a myriad different sources. The source of this particular abhorrence is simply, fear. The first air-pocket sows the seeds of doubt. By the time the aircraft reaches peak altitude my thoughts have raced from first memories of childhood, God, family, bright lights and ends of tunnels, relationships, wishes, disaster movies involving plane crashes, uninhabited islands, heroic fantasies with me as the protagonist saving damsels in distress, reincarnation, remorse….

I can’t remember the last time I hadn't made an attempt to approximate the total number of flights through the sands of history and the number of crashes to calculate the probability of this flight crashing. Thinking of what if it really did? How people – family, friends, acquaintances, strangers would react. It’s a perverse chain of thoughts, but one I find myself indulging in subconsciously. A call for pity? Deriving oodles of joy in their pathos, a sick, masochistic orgasm.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have started our descent in preparation for landing, please make sure your seatbelts are fastened and tray tables are in their full upright position. Please turn off all electronic devices until the aircraft comes to a complete stop… “.

I hate her damn voice...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

18 times? wow! thats a lot!!

July 11, 2005 at 10:56 PM  
Blogger kay said...

i hate flying too, but i put up with it because i love traveling.

according to yann martel humans can get used to anything. apparently he's wrong, because 19 flights later you still hate flying.

had more to say, but i forgot.

July 13, 2005 at 6:31 PM  
Blogger Sayesha said...

Powerful post!

July 13, 2005 at 10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To A rambling Man,

why not crack open bubbly champagne ( a bottle or two) and flick pages of Playboy; now you might even spot Noam Chompsy in Hustler ...

Take the next flight and be back to India soon soon sooooon; I wanna hear your ramblings on India. If you sooo please; I might arrange good in-flight company for your pleasure ....

- From a gambling beer-can
( So much for my poetic strawberry jam)


I love black-white, but gawwwwd, this stark contrast hurts my poor eyes real baaaad ...
dont be such an extremist, tone down, introduce palettes of gray, like my mood ...

July 18, 2005 at 11:37 PM  
Blogger dUh said...

surya : the perks of being a trader i guess :).. strangely enough I only went back to India four times during the first four years and 14 times in the next three ..

kay : getting used to something doesnt imply liking it... just gotta do what you gotta do..

Sayesha : paranoid would have been a better adjective :p

Anonymous: phoey to the palettes of grey and why the hell won't you leave your name :|

July 19, 2005 at 12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn you Surreal, I am not gonna forgive you for not figuring me out ...

Why the hell are you such an extremist? Leave black n white colour issues for us Americans; you should indulge in toned down yellow, brown n tan shades...

Just wanna hear your ramblings on India ... I suggested how to make this return air-journey a bit tolerable - champagne, playboy, hustler ..

July 19, 2005 at 4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my god! this is EXACTLY what i think.. ditto! ditto dittoo!! esp the last part about crashing and imagining how people are going to react..!! ya, and i've never had anyone good-looking next to me either.. sniff snif...

July 21, 2005 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger shakester said...

Mothers, I tell you. :)

And boy you hate flying....

August 16, 2005 at 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home